Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Happy Holly Jolliness to Each and Everyone of Us.

I was writing a reply to ChrisKnits and a version of this came to mind. My mother is one of those people that makes up her own phrases for things. I think because English is her second language she comes up with what word should work in "her context". She hears things differently, but they feel right she so just goes with it. Obviously other people are allowed to correct her, but not her close friends and family. Obviously we know what she means and therefore a new Momism is coined. (Crate and Barrel will forever be Oat and Barrel for me and my sister.)

Anyways, I'm bringing Happy Holly Jolliness to everyone. Why? Because there is so much chaos, that which is ours, that which is peripheral and we hold all that is good and positive near and dear.

Also I am totally endorsing all cornball holiday jokes, Mom jokes, Dad jokes (that don't involve farts, because despite what America's Funniest Videos is telling you, farts are played out, unless they're baby farts, 'cause that's always gold).

I got some holly jolly in the mail the other night! I came home after a LONG day at work and dragged my butt to get some exercise. I crawled in the front door/gate at 9:15 and there in front of the mailboxes were 2 packages.

One was from Valerie of Wandering Cat Studio! She sponsored a Fall Knit Along raffle prize with Dee from Pointy Little Sticks


Such a beautiful colorway. I love knitting in pink and this give me a bit of a peach blush as well. Good times in store!

The other was from our lovely all around craftslady, Araignee. I received some beautiful holiday soaps and a Penguin cards. Yes, I am fond of penguins, these particularly represent why: small,  chubby = cute, much like toddlers and cats (in no particular order).



Thank you Valerie, Araignee and Dee for being such generous and fun people in the knitting and blogging community!

In knitting news, I have continued to neglect the baby sweater in lieu of socks, because Red and Green themed socks are all the rage. This is me "measuring" while watching the Manchester Derby (pronounced DAR-bee).



I have big knitting plans to keep me in holiday spirits, but there is so much to do! I have 2 dinners this week, a staff work lunch, a school play and some cookies for the school staff cookie box assembly line to bake. Somehow it feels feasible. If I haven't lost my mind I'll let you know how it goes this weekend. ;)

28 comments:

  1. Glad the package arrived safely!

    And as for Momisms... Black Diamond Cheese is Black & Decker Cheese around here, thanks to Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love it! Black & Decker cheese. I like your Moms!

      Delete
  2. Momisms are a hoot!

    Love your gifts and Christmas sock. Happy Holly Jolliness to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Momisms are a hoot. I wince a little when I hear my son laugh at me being ridiculous, because I remember that holier than thou thinking about my own mother. The good thing is now I have proof that the elder generation is infinitely more funny than given credit for, whatever generation it may be ;)

      Delete
  3. Your Valerie yarn is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing what it becomes!

    The socks on the foot look great too. Perfect soccer knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee. I think the Valerie yarn is pretty special myself. All sock knitting is perfect soccer knitting!

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, it's those last crazy couple of weeks isn't it. It does look cosy, sock knitting in front of the television though. A little light knitting will keep us all sane. A nice result for Man City no? Love the pink wool, I like a little pink knitting as well. Wishing you a productive week, good luck with all of everything, and happy holly jolliness to you too. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy busy, but all the more reason to enjoy the moments we steal for a knitting round, a breath or a curse at the t.v. and team, ha! Yes Man City is on a tear and I'm enjoying it, immensely.

      Delete
  5. I started reading your post today and was thinking I need to send you a gingerbread man since your baking posts are supreme and then.....I realized I already had! It's tough to get old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm not surprised you are forgetting who you sent what, you are SO generous Araignee. Also I am hoarding the gingerbread soap to show off at Christmas Eve with my family.

      Delete
  6. We are having so much holiday fun here too. I love when people LOVE the whole month of December like I do!! The tree is up. Im so glad you were showered with fun gifts from bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband finally capitulated to get a tree. I am so happy. We have been so busy we have not decorated it yet, but it's so pretty and smells so good it's already bringing me the joy.

      Delete
  7. nice sock!! My gram would say weird stuff, Polish was her first language I wish I could remember some of the things she'd say... I need to stop and enjoy the moments as they whiz by around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father's family is Polish American. It used to crack people up that this little brown Thai kid could sing a Polish Christmas Carol when I was younger. Gramma had us all practice. Those sayings, are the best of the family inside jokes aren't they?

      Delete
  8. Always nice to get a pkg of love! The new socks are beautiful! Enjoy your Christ festivities....they go by fast and furious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the package love and hope to put some of that out in the world in 2018. I will enjoy the Christmas festivities as much as I can. It already feels like it's rushing past!

      Delete
  9. Happy holly jolliness right back at you :) My Mom sounds very similar to yours when it comes to recreating English slang. I am loving the festive socks you have on the needles. Red & green is totally Jackson right now (one of my mom’s fave sayings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I died when i read this. "totally Jackson." My mother says things are "Jackson Packed" and my sister and I use it regularly together and never without a huge grin.

      Delete
  10. I only have 1 event next Wednesday, Christmas with our girls/their BFs/my sister, and then once the 22nd hits it's Run Run Rudolph, I mean Chris. 5 events in 4 days and likely a 5th thrown in there for good measure. I am tired just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run Run Chris! I'm cheering you on with your Christmas spirit! I'm tired thinking about it for both of us, but there is going to be fun and adventure in there. Even the frustrating moments will be a story -- think stuff all over the floor that people were supposed to eat. sigh!

      Delete
  11. What fun packages. So great when they arrive on a day that has been way too long. Love your Christmas socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Vera! The timing was MOST excellent. I smile just thinking about it. Thanks for the Christmas sock compliment. I'm a little stalled right now ;)

      Delete
  12. Such lovely packages! Perfect for this time of year.
    I don't know how people deal with all the X-mas excitement. It sounds like too much fun in a short period of time. I appreciate that Hanukkah is low key in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just glad I've come to love the holidays as much as I have. I used to feel really overwhelmed and crabby about the holidays when I was a young adult. It took me a few years that I can make it what I want it and not what other people expect me to make it. Having a family has brought some compromise, as it does with all things, but I am happiest when I remind myself that I own them and they don't own me :)

      Delete
  13. I laughed out loud about how your Mom creates her own phrases as my lovely Mom does the same. Me and my sister still giggle like little girls when she does it. :)
    Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Try not to overdo it because just like knitting- you have to enjoy the process or else it is just stress.
    That yarn- drool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moms. Seriously I don't know what's best the unconditional love or the continuous laughter, even in reference. I swear Mom if you somehow read this, I'm laughing with you. I promise!

      I hear you Andi, I'm trying to enjoy the adventure of the holidays and not just grind the gears.

      Delete
  14. It'll be fun to see what you make with that pretty peach yarn! Love your holiday socks, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I kind of want to knit socks with them in the summer and make a peach dessert and set up a photo shoot. What? A girl can dream ;)

      Delete