Monday, July 30, 2018

Summer Reads and I'm sorry, some ranting

I have finished 3 books this summer and it feels good. I know some of you are prolific readers, but this is the hobby that has suffered the most in the past years. Time. Never. Enough. Time.

Anyhow this is what I read and my general feelings.


Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.
This was a real page turner for me. I had a 2 hour flight between Copenhagen and Split and I literally read over a hundred pages easily. I loved the flow of the writing. Ishiguro's style is classic show don't tell. The ability to allow specifics to be revealed through description and subtle indicators in plot is always a joy, especially when a story is being told first person -- which can easily devolve in being told what is of value.

It's an odd dystopian memoir fiction piece that may not make any sense, but it's better that way. I promise you. The truth is it really focuses on human relationships, human nature and the odd dynamics of friendship through the years.

WIN.

Magpie Murders: A Novel by [Horowitz, Anthony]

I really wanted a nice little murder mystery for my travels. I had started this book a while before, but never got around to finishing it because you know, life. Well I was so pleased to pick it back up during my holiday. I really enjoyed it in the beginning it had a great familiar feel to it. It alludes to Agatha Christie, Midsommer Murders and a bunch of other British Mysteries. It captures that old "village vibe" and went with some British commentary.
I am glad I read it. I was fine with the finish, but there were a few times when I felt like it was trying a bit hard, but I liked it. Also maybe my attention span was waning because I was hurrying to figure out who did it. I read a lot of this in the car.

If you love murder mysteries as much as I do, I'd add it to your list. I have it on my kindle and I can imagine in a few years rereading it because I probably won't remember who did it. Old Age or a creature of habit that likes all things to feel like a favorite cardigan?

This is like YA RomCom. This was potato chip reading. This was best read alone at the kitchen table with a bowl of soup for lunch where I literally laughed out loud every few paragraphs. Goodness High School was such an awkward time. The FEELINGS!! So Many Feelings!!

*most of these feelings are embarrassment, confusion and frustration.

As I mentioned I hear my sister's voice as the narrator because though my sister is very quiet, she's actually a Feeler and when they get her going she can be a little all over the place. I'm just very loud and expressive. She's just chaotic emotion. Feels one way, it comes out another. Also, my sister expressed more interest in boys than I did at that age. Oh I was boy crazy in my brain but I tried to be really cool about it. My sister had bona fide BOYFRIENDS in High School.

I'd lend it to her right now but she's on my poop list. I love her, I'll be over it in another day. I should've been over it in 2 hours, but I don't work like that.

Anyways, you see? It's made me think and feel all the feelings, just like a high school Celine Dion and here we are. AutumnGeisha mentioned there is a series. So here I am, waiting for the rest of my books to come so I can decide what I think of the entire series and tell you. I do not think I'll be reading YA RomComs on the regular, but I am enjoying this.

I want my son to read it because he's an actual High Schooler so I'm sure he'll tell me what is ridiculous and I am secretly trying to infiltrate his cool guy genres of Sci Fi and Action Movies and "Art". (All of which I love too, but his Dad is really feeding some B grade stupid stuff to him and some things that require a little more focus in my opinion. But what can you do?)

I made them watch When Harry Met Sally for my birthday. And everyone was reluctantly admitting it was cuter and better than they thought it would be. I'm not super gushy, but you know, no one likes a snob. If you try different things a few times then you might have a more credible explanation of why you don't like it.

Anyways the movie is being released on Netflix August 17th. Very excited. This is how I will be spending my Friday night. AND Crazy Rich Asians is being released in the movie theaters the same weekend. In my entire life I can't remember 2 mainstream (not subtitled ART) movies featuring Asian Leads opening within the same year let alone the same weekend. This is kind of a big deal to me. 

I was hoping the Kid would read the book before he watched the movie, but I'm not going to push it. He's reading another YA right now, and he still has a bunch of summer assignments to finish so I shouldn't fuss. But ... JUST FOR ALL THAT MAKES THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE, READ. PLEASE JUST READ!

Sorry that capitalized Mom moment was brought to you by teenage parenting. If you ever would've told me that one day this child would need to be reminded to read I would've given you the "what?" face. 

Oh parenthood, you tricky tricky beast.

He can cook for himself, so see you are all my witnesses and it is now documented, I mother of H has said something positive about him, as he is not just what he can do or what he should do. Nominate me please as petty parent of the year and I will make you all feel infinitely better about whatever job you are doing yourselves.

We could've had a cat. Cats are so cute you don't care if they don't do dishes or leave the convection door open ... EVERY. DAY.

Think like a Positive Mom Says: He went for a walk on his own today and took out the compost, recycling and trash and gave me a morning hug without being asked yay. (I know his hugs are a bit bonier than a cat snuggle but I'll take it.)

Alright enough venting. What are you all reading? What movies are you looking forward to seeing? What's in your Netflix queue?

OOooo maybe next post will be a media one ...

28 comments:

  1. I think I abandoned Magpie Murders partway through but I'll try again. I couldn't with never let me go although I love that writer. Will put #3 on my list for when I need a potato chip. Here is the link to the Happy Birthday Banner on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y59M81H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link! I put the rest of my response re: MM below because I'm an idiot and did not reply directly, sorry!

      Delete
  2. I've had multiple people tell me they abandoned Magpie Murders and I can see why. If I was not on vacation, I wonder if I would have had the patience for it. I would've edited it a bit, but I still think it works for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reviews and recommendations. I haven't read any memorable books lately as I can't seem to concentrate on anything but packing, sorting, and purging possessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy, I think you've got enough on your plate. I am looking forward to hearing about you sink down into a knitting chair after this is all done and getting into the zone!

      Delete
  4. Parent of teenagers is DEFINITELY a roller coaster, but you know you are doing a good job!

    Reading: SLOW (Simple Living for a Frantic World)

    Don't do movies or NetFlix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remind myself I don't have anything figured out and really, he's his own person that I'm supposed to support and provide guidance for. I just want to know he is engaging himself. That's how you learn about the world and yourself.

      SLOW sounds like something I should read, ha!

      Delete
  5. Never enough time for reading here either, and sadly I can't read in the car, it makes me feel ill. And I don't have anything to listen to audio books on either, so I rely on sofa time and sitting watching/waiting for boys time, of which I am hoping there will be a little over the hols. I'm reading Burnt Paper Sky by a local author, Gilly Macmillan. I found it on a 'Local Authors' display at a library and thought I'd try it because I used to live in Bristol, where it's set, very close to lots of the locations, so I'm really familiar with them. It's added another dimension, being able to really picture it, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Here's hoping there's plenty of reading time for both of us over the summer. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when you are familiar with the area and can "see" it. It's so much fun when you read and brings out almost another sense in you, or unfolds in a way other stories haven't.

      Delete
  6. I was the mom of two feral teen aged boys who were nothing to brag about all through their teen years. I could curl your hair with tales of horror. Then peer pressure in their 20's caused them to straighten up and fly right. One lives in a mansion in N Va and runs his own consulting firm with the US Navy. He just dropped $70,000 on a new kitchen like it was pocket change. The other is DOJ, a DA in Michigan with awards from Eric Holder. I would have bet that these two dopes would have been on skid row by now. So all hope is not lost with the kid. They seem to right themselves just when you think it's time to give up on them. Hang in there and trust in the foundation you gave him. From what I see you are one great mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your boys are so successful and I see on your blog that they stay in touch and visit and let you visit. Most importantly they sound like good humans. Girl you have wracked up more goals in there than I can dare to dream. But thank you for the hope. I'll take it. I'm lucky you guys are here to relate to me.

      I am trying to be considerate of who he is. I need that back. I'm also reminding myself that you're right they have to figure it out. I can't do that for him. I can only provide the guidance.

      Delete
  7. loved the teen years the most (especially the angst). Call me crazy!! I'm reading Pachinko which is fabulous! and another Gamache mystery by Louise Penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is much to love, I am just greedy and wish my teen would share more of his thoughts and feelings.

      Thanks for the books. I'll take a look!

      Delete
  8. I sadly, don't read as much as I used to. I mostly reread my Patricia Briggs books. They aren't super deep, but they are well written. Usually when I get a new one, I end up reading it all in one day and one long night because they are too good to put down. I call them mind candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm unfamiliar with Patricia Briggs. I will go check it out. But I love the term, "mind candy"!

      Delete
  9. That Crazy Asian movie looks so good!!!!
    It is difficult at time to be a mom as they are teens. I actually loved the teen years. Zach and I would go to comedy concerts (clean) as we connected on a humor level and not many others. Al and I would walk and walk as she worked out her teen years and their pains. Be there. Just quietly be there. That's what I finally came around to know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it looks good too. Summer fun!

      I think it's good advice I need to remind myself. It's funny how we can fight about stupid chore stuff or make accusations but then we are quite happy having a quiet breakfast together. I think I just need to make sure I find some things we stay connected on, even if the duration is not super long.

      Delete
  10. I liked your book reviews! My 2 sons could certainly push all limits in their teens but are all responsible adults now! Hang in there-keep being the mom who loves him! I am on the last book in a fantasy series by James Maxwell Golden Age is book one-I am thoroughly enjoying the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what they do. So why do I expect or want something more? It's not fair to either of us is it? I'm just making it more difficult on all accounts.

      Oooo! Fantasy! I am writing this down as well!

      Delete
  11. Right now I'm reading and enjoyingThe Death of Mrs Westaway; I just finished Astoria and loved it and also learned a lot about the PNW as well. Thanks for the reminder to read The Magpie Murders; it's be languishing on our bookshelf for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a mystery Judy. I'll check out that fist title for sure.

      Delete
  12. Boys can be tough can't they? They still are even at the age of 21 and 24, but they are much better. Well until they stay out til all hours and scare me to death. Motherhood is not for the faint of heart, it is tough stuff, but worth it I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I was just having this conversation (parenting is never easy and never done) with a coworker. You are right, when my blood pressure is normal, I find it worth it. ;)

      Delete
  13. Sorry to say Ellen but everything you described above for your son could apply to my husband on any given day *sigh* But we love them so there’s that. At least your boy can still be influenced by your strong & loving urgings. Two mainstream movies with Asian leads is definitely exciting! Not reading anything right now but currently hooked on Ugly Delicious on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love them silly. Both my husband and son at least acknowledge that my crazy starts from a good place.

      Kinda loving Queer Eye for the Straight Guy reboot.

      Delete
  14. Yay for good reading. I have to request that series again for the teen. I would probably want to listen to it on audio. I'm curious about the movie and like how an Asian-American is the lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for reading! Definitely check it out Stefanie, I think you'll appreciate it.

      Delete
  15. Good reviews. I’m reading Chicago and loving it. Also loved mink river(same author). Years ago I saw a poster comparing teen years with a Jackson pollack painting. Sort of sums it up I think. Teen years don’t last forever although I sometimes think my husband is stuck in his!!!!

    ReplyDelete