Thursday, June 6, 2013

Daydreams: Retirement Style

Dropping off The Kid at tennis camp, he confirmed the "old people" still meet in the morning and play tennis in their little groups.

I told him, I liked this. I told him, I'm going to work this into my plan.

I told him:
I'll rotate my morning activities between nice long walks, maybe along the Embarcadero, and playing tennis with some pals. Then, I'll go to one of those "laptop cafes" (that's what he calls the quiet as a library cafe's with artisan coffee, lined with mac book users camped out.) I'll shoot off a few emails. I'll send you one every morning with the usual mothering gripes, "When are you coming over? We miss you. Are you drinking enough water? Are you still getting migraines?"
He laughed, I know he can see it now.

"After that, I'll update my blog. I'll email you and your Dad that I updated my blog. Then I'll knit some and maybe catch a matinee. Then maybe I'll take a dance class or a Zumba class in the middle of the day."

He said, "Mom, you're going to be exhausted from all that exercise. Or maybe really buff."

I said, "Yeah, I'm going to be a buff old lady."

And we both start laughing and he mimes weight-lifting.

I finished with, "You think I'm kidding ..."

*Nota Bene: Cleaning and home improvement are no-where to be found in this retirement daydream. I believe this is what my retired husband might be doing, while I'm living the dream. Then again I fear that he might be one of those people that can't not work. That's okay, I'll send him a lot of emails from my world travels.

1 comment:

  1. ELlen...you make me laugh. and that's quite the plan...

    but one's reach should exceed one's grasp or whats a dream for?

    ReplyDelete