Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Backwards and forwards and all over town.

My projects have been somewhat stalled by life lately. I was angry at the pumpkin socks. Unreasonably angry. I had dropped some stitches while dragging it all over San Francisco (without actually knitting). I managed to get them back on the needles, but struggled to figure out where I was. I think I could've managed but I was feeling (yes of course I was) impatient and I think the fact I didn't do the fancy decorative cuff at all (I was impatient remember and rushed for a 2x2 rib as is) just pushed me over the edge. So I frogged the whole pumpkin enchilada and tried to start up again.

Alas, it was too late. (You know the Giant's v Dodgers game went extra innings and finished (with a Giants win!) at 11:30. My focus was divided.


So here is my pile. My pile of Ellen's impatience. I am reading the second book of The Giver series by Lois Lowry. I sort of do this, between things where knitting doesn't quite fit in. I can't really knit before I leave for the gym, because then it's really hard for me to leave my chair. Like SO hard I don't leave for the gym. blech.

That other little bit / bob on the end is my new Unikitty keychain from the Lego Movie because she makes me happy. Her horn lights up when you touch her nose. She is rather large for a keychain, though.

I'm not giving up on my pumpkin socks. I like the thinking, "it's okay." I just need the time. Also, I know I will finish that baby sweater soon, so all is not lost.

How are your projects going? Are you as easily distracted as me? Has a shawl or baby knit been pushed to the side as you experiment on a new pumpkin recipe or hat?

Oh yeah, I really want to knit a hat. I feel like I need a new one, since my kid loses all of mine.

16 comments:

  1. I have two projects on the needles: a cowl and a neck gaiter; both slow knitting. I have many stalled sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ellen :)
    i wanted to do the pumpkin socks (i printed out the pattern) but didn't have the patience to even read through the pattern nor did i have any yarn that was even a little bit orange. i told myself next year ;( i've been in the sewing mood lately which means i had to clean & organize my sewing area before i could begin...then i didn't have the fabric i needed or thread to match the fabric i did have ....i'm a lot like the childrens book "if you give a mouse a cookie" lol
    pumpkin recipe....i'm trying a gluten, dairy & grain free muffin but first i have to make almond meal ha!
    hope your week is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am terribly distracted. That's why I usually have piles and piles of things that need finishing. Just this morning, I had time all to myself and instead of finishing something that I had already started, I began something new. I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I daren't ever start two knitting things at once. Although so many people do, it makes me wonder... But I am sadly neglecting a quilt while I knit a scarf. The problem I have is not enough time to do it all. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes!!! I think I sort of just blogged this same thing!?! Too many things going...no focus...stuck projects...(for me) a pending project to frog.....so good to hear I'm in such good company!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes when a project doesn't want to be knit it isn't the knitter. It's the yarn! It wants to be something else, a pattern different than what the knitter wants. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How frustrating, I hate when that happens and can't retrieve it. I'm always distracted and casting on new things. I wish I didn't as I like to get things finished too but if I see a pattern I like, I'm too impatient to wait. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you figure out where you are, maybe in the morning after coffee feeling fresh and knowing you can tackle anything. Love the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll get it, just keep pushing forward!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe Dee had a pumpkin sock time out too. Must be the pumpkins getting all Tricky early for tricks and treats.
    Love your keychain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some plain vanilla socks and some lace sweater sleeves. I keep putting off casting on for a cowl design ... because those are always kinda experiments and there is usually some un-knitting until I like it. I think I might *gasp* actually SWATCH the stitch patterns this time ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I forgot to say - LOVE The keychain, LOL! Its super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so distracted it isn't even funny anymore. I have a sweater ready to cast on, a shawl half way completed, 15 dishcloths done with about 20 more to go and all I want to do is crochet a blanket, now who has problems???
    Hugs to you and happy weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. That pumpkin pattern seems to give everyone fits! It sure is a cute pattern though. I have 3 pair of socks going and took them on our trip....did lots of tinking though and decided that it's harder to concentrate on plane/train trips than I thought it would be. Next time I'll bring along Plain Vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes you need to take a trip back from a WIP and breathe. When you revisit the pumpkin, you'll be refreshed and renewed with vigor. Didn't know The Giver was a series. Haven't read the first book but it's a common book taught in fifth grade. Miss you lady.
    Yes, I've been distracted. For the last two welds I've had my teeth clamped on a design for cute twins. Then I had to finish a baby hat and of course the big brother has to get a lil' somethin' somethin'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Lego movie! Everything is awesome!

    ReplyDelete