Monday, August 15, 2016

Some assembly required.

I'm not going to lie. I prefer to the baking assembly these days to the knitting kind where you have all those pieces you have to stick together and get the seam right.

I am going seamless whenever I can for garments these days and I'm OK with it.

But my knitting is slow. Just a few stitches here and there, just enough to keep a complete level of insanity away, but not enough to post or show. Soon my dearests, soon.

So back in the kitchen I've been going full-blown Great British Bake Off, Anglophile these days. 


These are some mini victoria sponge cakes by the Great Mary Berry. I love her bubble gum colored outfits and the way she talks about cake. I modified it just a bit, just because. I ran out of strawberry jam that was NOT from her recipe, because quite frankly, I didn't have time. I used my friend Lady H's homemade plum preserve. I spread a tiny bit of that down directly on the cake and then piped down the heavy whipping cream, instead of drizzling jam over double cream. I also used a bit of confectioner's sugar in the cream. I think it helped stiffen up the cream but also just a little sweet to cut the tartness of the plum jam. I then put on a few thin slices of fresh fruit (because I grew up in California and it's what we do) and ma voila!



These cakes are different than regular yellow cake just by the texture in my opinion. I'm not sure why but they are really delightful. Slightly crispy exterior for me (maybe the amount of butter I used in my tins) but still springy to the touch. 15 minute bake. Fabulous.



I got the "spool" cake pan at Joann's when I was out killing time (and emptying out my wallet) with Mom last week while she was visiting. That place is dangerous for both of us for different but multiple reasons. 

If you're not making your own jam, the recipe is solid and pulls together easily and quickly. Remember for best results use a scale. 😃

20 comments:

  1. I was just looking up that recipe and then I saw your post. Damn.....girl. You nailed it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, they look delicious and I love the addition of strawberries. There's a new series of Bake Off starting soon - next week maybe. A bit of baking here yesterday as well. Treacle tart to use up a load of breadcrumbs and a coffee cake. Somehow we have already eaten half of the coffee cake. Might have to make another one. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering. Will go look at the recipe now. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read your post title my first reaction was "I wonder if Ellen watch TGBBS". I'm ordering books for DH for Christmas! Quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I do not like to bake like this but you sure could use a taster, right?! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as your hands are happy, That's all that matters. mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really shouldn't read your blog so close to lunch! I am sooooooooo hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fabulous...I am drooling.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGosh, these look hella good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look both beautiful and yummy! (I want one RIGHT NOW.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing! I especially love the frilly way you piped on the cream! I could nom nom my way through four or five of them without blinking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously? Do you have to be such a domestic Goddess and show up us poor talentless ones? I am happy to just be able to make pudding from a box mix!! Oh, those look soooooo good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Ellen, those are just amazing! They are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy yummy yum. And pretty too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love desserts like this! Looks so yummy, especially with the whip cream & fresh strawberries. Add in a pot of tea and I'd be in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look delicious! Makes me think of strawberry shortcake:)
    I watch The Great British Baking Show too but I have not braved any of their recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look FABULOUS and uber-yummy!

    ReplyDelete