Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring Break in Kansas

It is Spring Break for our elementary school. My parents have just moved to Kansas at the beginning of the new year. The last time I visited them (in Hawaii - sigh!) it was for a quick trip of just 4 or 5 days. My parents have been supportive of me, but also going through their own multiple transitions in the last year. I thought it was my turn to bring the kid to them, and also to go hang out, get some home cooking and shut down a little with The Kid.

He is happy to not go to Spring Break camp. He is happy to be spoiled rotton. I think, hope, maybe he is happy to spend a little more time with me. Relaxing time.


It's funny spending so much time with him. He's horribly affectionate and sensitive. Did you know that? I knew that. In fact I often exploit it when I'm angry without even meaning to. I know I'm a horrible mother. I warned The Manfriend before we had kids, my potential for landing a child in therapy was much higher than your average woman. He was dealing with a family of certified whackjobs. As loveable as we are, we have our own truth.

The Kid and I were having a hard time sleeping at night so we pushed our twins together. Much better. Mainly for me. Having him so close, but not close enough to console or touch in his sleep was weirding me out when he would flop around or wake up without waking. (I am that Mom that hears his slightest sound from her room at home) He kicked me one night when I tried to put his covers back on and then gave me a cat fight double handed slapping when I tried to cuddle with him the next, all asleep of course.

He had his first big thunder and lightening storm last night so it took a while to get him down. But he did well, and I wasn't all meany mcmean face. After sitting with him for a while after reading, I told him to think happy thoughts, he was safe but if he needed me I was next door and I'd leave the door wide open. And yes, he has a night-lite.

I mean we do. hehe.

Do you know what he told me? He said, you can survive being struck by lightening. In fact a man had been struck three times and survived. He said, "Once you've been struck it increases your chances of being struck again. It fills your body with electrons."

And then he asked, "Can you survive a tornado? You know, like not in the shelter, but like getting picked up by one?"

I told him I didn't know. There is a lot I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment