Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Zumba Story

When your regularly scheduled activities shift, sometimes you need to shift with them. I am trying to run another 5k this Sunday and I wanted to make sure I get at least 3 days of cardio in the week leading up to it. Due to other fun times I already had scheduled and not be a complete absentee mother ... I was not going to be able to make my usual Zumba classes.

I know Zumba ... even when I say it at home, The Kid starts smiling and imitating hip thrusts in a comical manner. I don't care. It's so much fun and no matter how craptastic I feel before, I always feel better after. And no matter how goofy I look when I do it, when I look in the mirror I almost always have a puffy, red, sweaty kid-like grin on my face.

Well, I was going to have to find a Wednesday evening class to keep me in my groove. I found one pretty close to home. A studio I've been to before in the winter. It was a little creepy leaving there in the dark, but in the daylight you still feel safe in such an urban/industrial area. Plus it's like 6 blocks from my flat. So thanks to daylight savings, I'm not walking in the dark at all.

The instructor was Andrei and he was fabulous, big smiles and all energy in that really supportive way. Not obnoxious "go go go!" pushing at the right moment and slowing down at the right moment. I loved the class. The people in this class have so much great energy even though it's a smaller class than my usual week night ones. They hoot, they holler, they give it their all. There are two women that do their moves as a mirror so they can feel like they are dancing together. Super cute!

Here is the thing. The studio was so mother freakin' hot. I thought I was going to pass out at one point. I went to the bathroom to wash my face and neck with cold water. I went through my water bottle. I was kind of annoying because I kept asking the other students, "Is it always this hot?" but the moves were fun, and I kept going until ... I swear I thought I pulled a butt muscle. You know that bizarro spot right under your butt shelf? Yeah well, I'm kind of "hobbles" at this point, but I keep going, over analyzing in my head. "Did I pull something? Maybe if I keep going? What if I have to leave? Will I be able to run on Sunday." You know, my usual stupid crap.

Anyways, I try stretching it out between songs and just reduce my bouncing, if you will and I think I didn't pull something, I just had a butt cramp. That's right people. Wednesday night butt cramps. Gotta love it.

I went home feeling like a better person. Isn't that what it's all about?


No comments:

Post a Comment