Wednesday, July 8, 2015

WIP Wednesday: Reflections on a colorway

I managed to finish some socks over the holiday weekend and I openly admit to hoarding them until Friday when I can have a proper Friday FO post, ha!

Still feeling contrary about baby knitting I dug around for a bag in a bigger knitting bag (Am I the only one who does this? Nests (potential) projects within projects?) I pulled a lovely ball of yarn and said, "Socks! Good old fashioned stockinette socks!"

In two evenings (where no gym was involved and an excellent episode of  Case Histories) I managed to get about 62 rows in. I'm ready for the heel flap.

This is more like 37 rows, but I kept going!
But I've stopped. I've picked up the second short row section of the Twinleaf wrap. 

I think it's a good place to stop and mix up the project knitting, but honestly I think I'm not that in love with the way this yarn or more specifically this colorway is knitting up. I like it. I just don't love it. I think it is browner than I was expecting.  I was thinking it would be more lavender/gray, I suppose. Also this little bits of dye that gently pattern the stripes -- I think I'd prefer it without or have it mottled all the way through. I dunno. But looking at the ball and looking at the "stripes" my expectations have been ... surprised.

Here is a close-up of the yarn and colorway on the Simply Socks website. It is Trekking XXL.

Here is a photo of the ball of yarn next to it knit up. Everything feels more ... muted. It's a bit like July in San Francisco. Even the fireworks come with fog. 


Anyhow, I am sure I'll be ready to return to them after another section of Twinleaf. 

I'm working 60 sts on US 1.5s. I think you could go down to US1s, but I think that US 1.5 are my favorite size to knit socks with.

After this pair, I have my first pair of socks on magic loop that I need to get back to and maybe then ... I'll be ready for another baby knit.

Hope you are all well and getting some happy in, whatever form that may be ... but may I recommend some knitting? ;)

14 comments:

  1. I love Trekking socks. They feel so nice and cushy on the feet. Your ball does look more reserved than the photo. Trekking is known for their brilliant colorways so I wonder if you have a mutant dye lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me signed into another account. Oops...

      Delete
  2. I like Trekking yarn for socks, too, as it wears well. Is it possible that the sample is coming out of the skein opposite of yours because I don't see any of the dull colors in the sample, and it appears that it might be the next stripe.

    Dull (brown) or not, I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. trekking is my go to workhorse sock yarn, it is the strongest out there. I'm surprised about the mottled spots, usually they do not do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised at the spots in the yellow too. You don't really notice it in the skein.

    But, I know how that goes. I've had several skeins I thought knit up VERY different than what I expected.

    Still ......they ARE pretty socks. :-) Looking forward to tomorrow's posted FO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think that yarn is beautiful and love the socks in progress. But I know what you mean, sometimes you need to put things down before you decide how much you do/do not like them ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I generally love Trekking XXL, but sometimes its striping patterns surprise me, too. It wears so well, though, that I stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely not what I would have expected either....i guess that's just the joy?? of the self-striping yarns!! SURPRISE! I'm ready to get back to my twinleaf, too! It's been pretty patient while I've been attending to banana leaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, I'm copy catting you! I've been carrying around the banana leaf pattern in my bag for a week. I'm going to go to the LYS very soon and get myself the appropriate amount of yarn. If it was just one hank I'd be okay, but the situation calls for shopping ...

      Delete
  8. Yup, that Trekking LIES. It is pretty though, unless you show us the whole skien. Since I saw your sock first, and I actually liked it a lot, and THEN I saw the skein and felt it cheated me out of green, I feel I cannot complain with you too much .
    Knit what makes you happy lady! And yes my projects nest within nests within bags within bags. Donesn't everyone do this?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't used that brand before but I like the faded, vintage feel of the colorway. They'll look like well-loved socks for keeping your footsies warm during rainy days at home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's pretty. Keep going till you get to the green and then decide.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the muted colors....keep knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The brown flecks in there are kinda odd ...

    I've got to get back to knitting socks! I had a project not go so well that I think I figured out, time to get back to plain stockinette socks to get over the hump!

    ReplyDelete