Monday, January 3, 2011

End of Year Eating - Random moments of the holiday just past

Watching my SIL feed baby R clam chowder for the first time. "MMMMmmm. Ahhhhh!" He dips in his bread and makes big eyes. He asks for the spoon and she keeps him at bay for as long as possible, making sure he eats first. Finally with a smile -- since she can no longer resist his smile she hands him the spoon. Scoop and lift, and just before the spoon gets to his mouth, he flips it, and a drop makes it into his baby birding mouth and the rest drips down his shirt. Even when the chowder actually goes inside his shirt, he does not stop smiling and licking the spoon. I don't know if I've ever loved chowder so much.

Pap put tumeric on in his Cauliflower Gratin. Hmm. Really? Well apparently, I had two servings.

Pap perfectly seasons a Prime Rib.

My Christmas Eve Gratin turned out really good. Maybe too rich for more than one serving.

For the girl who doesn't like complicated recipes, and desires to improve her lack of healthy eating habits, why am I drawn to taking a class on Terrines and Pates? Really? What's that about? Mmm Pork Rillette, duck rillette ... ahh.

Best term ever for grocery store Top Ramen or Cup of Noodle: Prison Noodles. Thanks Eee!

Thankful for such a great variety of good quality fresh fish in California. Ahi, Halibut and Sand Dabs oh my!

I secretly like to eat bacon and bananas. Not together as in smushed up in a pastry; take a bite of bacon, take a bite of banana method. And incase you are about to ask. No, I don't want any of your peanut butter.

Not so secret: I take Uncrustables to work so I can eat peanut butter and jelly since my kid is allergic to it and I don't like to have it out and about at home.

Pleased to announce that my second try with the spicy pork terrine was more flavorful than the last. No regrets in getting it again, it will last me the week. It will be my reward for eating more fruits and vegetables ... meh.

Dungeness roasted with herb butter and garlic -- can't go wrong, especially enjoying it with friends and happy kids.

A bag of mandarins on my cube desk makes me feel bulky in a Costco kind of way, yet healthier too, like in that, I do yoga (once a week) kind of way. hahaha! Here's to ending the year in a happy way, here's to starting one even better if not just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment