Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Run or walk, just go.

Last week Thursday I ran a 5k out at the Palo Alto Baylands Nature Preserve with my sister. I should've taken a picture of the lovely bay side wetlands but I was too busy huffing and puffing my way to the finish line. It's not pretty when I do it, but I do it, and I'm always glad afters.


It was an Esprit de She event which was super fun. There was a mani station and a massage station. There were great vendors and sponsors such as Luna bar and Athleta. They had salad, and fruit and sandwiches for the runners, post race. Even the porta-potties had plastic flowers stuck in the urinals, ha! The race shirt was a super cute tank top that is pretty flattering for different body types, and it was another female centric event. Everybody in line for the start and in general, were really friendly and supportive. Everybody there was sort of celebrating female fitness. I like that kind of stuff.

It was also our first evening run event. We got off a couple hours early from work so we wouldn't have to fight traffic so much, stopping off at a Joann's fabric for some Padawan poncho fabric for my nephew's birthday party. It was nice to not rush.

After the race, everyone (of age) was allowed 2 drinks, wine, mimosa. We opted for one each of the grapefruit mimosa with raspberries thrown in. Tasty, and a great idea for brunch and luncheon parties, non? No pictures  of them, because we were too chatty. Here is a picture of the "happy hour" area.


We went out for a quick dinner afterwards and got home around 9:20pm. I missed tuck-in but managed to sneak in a kiss.

There has been a lot of coordinating for our family holiday next week and family stuff going on, but we did manage a little family activity together. The boys and I ran The Giants Race 5k on Sunday morning. It was at 11 this time, to stagger the starts of the half marathon and the 10k.



They passed me again, but we all did pretty well. The Kid was like 79 out of 396 for males 16 and under (he's 10). My time was slightly faster for this one than on last week Thursday. Regardless, it was a fun family thing to do.


7 comments:

  1. congrats! I think I could walk it but not run so you are quite successful in my eyes!! Looks like a fun time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It was very fun! I really think walking is the best. It's a basic ability (for many of us) and therefore so much easier on the body. Cheering you on in any and all endeavours.

      Delete
  2. You are inspiring me. It sounds so very well organized and fun. Maybe I can volunteer, if I can't run one. Ive given up running as I dont ever want my bladder falling down again and having it surgically pinned up!!! TMI. SOrry.
    I walk though, and I need to walk farther and faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TMI? Ha! Not with me. In my opinion you have been doing great being active and enjoying the summer from following your blog. The soda stoppage is SO impressive and a huge change. I don't run regularly, but I think like you and many of us, we try where we can to stay active and do fun things when and if we can. If we beat ourselves up, it defeats the purpose and pushes us away from the doing, I think.

      Delete
  3. Good job on completing the walk. Yup! I wouldn't have made it much past the starting line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you kicked a**! Totally awesome feats here. Ellen. You go.

    ReplyDelete