Monday, May 17, 2010

Pick it up Picky ...

So, I have bound off for the baby blanket and the shawl. Just a few ends to weave in, and I won't give myself too hard a time for that. I said, "Okay, let's focus on this cotton bag."

I prepped myself to pick up stitches. I watched multiple videos, I emailed HM for some cyber support, I read random tutorials on the interwebs. Really amazing what you can find out there. Most disappointing, bad angles/focused videos, with good narrative.

I count, once, twice three times, to make sure I'm picking up the proper number of stitches in the proper place. I have to pull things out and try again, but that's okay.

So I find myself in the home stretch for the other length of the bottom of the beach bag that needs to be done. However my stitches on this side aren't as neat. I spent all afternoon doing and redoing these stitches and having the wrong count, and thining out the plies on my cotton yarn. I brought it in today, and tried again a few times.

HM gave me some great advice, about thinking I need 2 stitches per color stripe. duh. And to consider picking up through one strand instead of 2. And, to consider my progress vertically as well as laterally when trying to account for 2 stitches per color. Just need to keep things even ... Wish me luck gang.

I think if I can't move on after this evening, I might cry.

Picking up stitches in some ways is easier than I thought it would be, and somewhat harder. I just have hit some messy stitches that require more time. I have to stop being a spazz and just finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment