Friday, April 11, 2014

Family Book Club: Wonder

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-R-J-Palacio/dp/0375869026
Image from Amazon.com. Click for link.
I kept seeing Wonder in the book stores (You know that place in town where they have real books on shelves that you have to BUY and sometimes they have a cat lounging in the window). I had read a few really good reviews in magazines. I saw the positive buzz online.

So, I bought the book, and handed it to The Kid over winter break and said, why don't you give this a go, it's supposed to be excellent.

He tore through it, and openly commented on it. He kept asking me when I was going to read it. Then my pal HM read it after I told her The Kid liked it. But she could not believe I hadn't read it yet (even though I recommended it). Then his father read it and then they both asked, when are you going to read it. I finally did. I really enjoyed seeing the world from a kid's perspective who knows his parents are really trying to help and protect him.

Synopsis: The books is about a home-schooled child with a severe facial deformity that begins going to "regular school". The story is told in multiple perspectives: Main character; Sister; Friends

Our favorite thing about the book was the multiple narrators and perspectives. The writing style was smooth. We were impressed with the amount of empathy and sympathy it squeezed out of all of us. I wasn't too sure what to expect in the ending, something sad or sappy, but I was actually pleased. It was a great character study. I like how some characters went through changes ... and some didn't.

Our whole family would recommend this book.

p.s.:  I wanted to do an interview style post with each of us on this book, but the menfolk basically rolled their eyeballs into the back of their heads when I made the gentle wifely and motherly request. 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read. I love books that have "heart."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I have this on my to-read list from hearing about it. I love multiple narrators too! I fell in love with this style after reading The View from Saturday by E.L. Konisburg
    I find it so cool how you have like a reading club with your son. I should try that this sooner with my oldest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read this book and agree wholeheartedly with your recommendation. I adore everything about this book.
    Sorry to hear that the menfolk declined to be interviewed for this review.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will add it to the list!! AL will love it too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book around too!! I will definitely add it to my queue! I like that it was well liked by many of your friends and family members :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to have to add that to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete