Wednesday, May 31, 2017

A finished knit and some ongoing commentary

I finished Annie's socks a few weeks back but didn't block them and didn't get a picture.

Well here we go. After a few crazy weeks I have a finished knit!



Recently I got side tracked by Bridget's Mojito socks. I was so smitten, I started a pair of my own. Clare was kind enough to gift me this yarn after her last trip to visit the family in the UK. I went with the blueberry waffle because I've been dying to give it a try. It's delivering the fun.


My neighbor's baby was about 7 weeks early so I really must get on that baby cardigan. Time to put away the mojitos for a bit.

In other news, I did not get the new position I applied to. I knew it was a long shot. But I think I'm still a little unsettled in how it has left me feeling -- funny how that works. I think I'll use my summer as a chance to reassess my priorities. I'm not despondent or anything, but I feel much like that weird parenting emotion where you hope your child will do something without being told and yet ... they don't.

Disappointed but not surprised? Slightly irritated, but not dramatic?

On the family front, I'm down to ONE more soccer match for the season. A reschedule from April? I can't remember, anyways. I have enjoyed watching The Kid run around and improve this season, but being team Mommanager has been a little stressful this spring. I'm looking forward to a break.

The Kid had his last day of school on Thursday. It was bittersweet. I keep having these dreams of him when he was smaller. I dream his small voice saying, "Mama! looking for me in the apartment as if it were a huge mansion.

Anyways things are always shifting. Still trying to keep things somewhat tidy. Still trying to not yell so much. Still looking for another hour to knit. Still trying to sleep more.

What are you trying to do these days?

Next post will be cooking and baking adventures, till I have some more knitting to share!


22 comments:

  1. Love those socks. They are so nice and tweedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They definitely feel like they will be sturdy and soft!

      Delete
  2. Sending you a big virtual hug! So sorry that you didn't get the new position. On the bright side, the finished socks are awesome looking and I absolutely love the bright green mojito socks on the needles. Right now I am trying to slow down time...can't believe that school will end next week, that my niece will be graduating high school and leaving for Japan soon....although she did console me by promising to bring back some Japanese yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm pleased too with the finished socks and really, those bright green mojitos are soo full of happy. I just smile everytime I look at the yarn.

      Delete
  3. Disappointments are hard to shake, so don't be so hard on yourself. It's okay to feel those emotions, especially when it was something you really wanted. Hopefully, something even more desirable will be just around the corner.

    Love the finished socks and those on the needles. Happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, I'm trying to remember it's normal to feel disappointment, but I'm self aware and I really don't want to let it spiral unnecessarily. I need to keep perspective. It's a fine balance of acknowledging it but not going ON and ON, if you know what I'm saying.

      Delete
  4. Bummer about not getting the new position. You just have to think of it as their loss. I'm still waiting for my roof to get fixed and I'm not handling that dilemma as well as you handled yours. Love that green yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Green yarn is a dream. The thing is it's maybe more frustration than anything. I actually think the candidates that got the position are very qualified and will be a good fit. It's more about not dwelling on my personal worth based on this. Silly stuff.

      Delete
  5. Nice to have a pair of finished socks-very pretty.
    Disappointments come just so you can take stock of yourself and reassess your goals. I know all about that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes finished socks! Woo hoo! And you're absolutely right. Take stock and reassess. Wise WISE words. Makes me feel better.

      Delete
  6. Those are lovely socks!

    I hope you enjoy your Mojito yarn as much as I did. :-)

    It's so frustrating when things go another way than you wanted them to go. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget, and honestly that yarn is just delightful. My goal this summer as soon as I get all these baby knits out of the way is to knit socks in dreamy, summery, happy colors. :)

      Delete
  7. So sorry about the job situation. That's got to be frustrating. But, meanwhile, I love the purple and grey in your finished socks and the mojito ones will be such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sock knitting. I think it's going to be the thing that gets me through a lot of anxiety and frustration for the rest of my life. No complaints :)

      Delete
  8. Love your newest socks! Great color, too. Sorry about the job; that is disappointing, but maybe there's a much better one on the horizon just waiting for YOU?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, I'm really pleased with the socks too. They've helped spur on some summer knitting which is nice. I'm not always the most prolific summer knitter. hehe. There's something on the horizon, it will be what it will be. Thanks for your kindness.

      Delete
  9. So sorry about the position Ellen, that is a bummer. I still have a hard time with my sons getting older and my older two are 23 and 20. Time shifts and changes things and I never seem to be ready for it. I have Little Buddy but even he is getting bigger and changing, not my baby anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mere, the processing of the position, not the actual position is what's got me, but I'll be OK. I'm going to do what's good for me and be OK with that. I am tired of seeking validation and approval in the wrong places. I'm too old for that.

      You always seem so together that it's good to know that the time shifts throw you off sometimes as well. As for Little Buddy. He is a marker of time for me. I am often so surprised at how big he has already gotten! That smile though! Bottle it up and sell it!

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry you didn't get the position. That's a bummer. Yay for summer starting and the last soccer match! I loved when the last tennis match was done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, it's so funny, I think I felt like my summer vacation started when we finished our last match. LOL. I did stick him in tennis camp for a week again this summer. It will be interesting to see what his athletic pursuits might become in High School.

      Delete
  11. Ellen it is good to see your socks and your knit plans! The Kid will keep growing and you know , it is okay. I loved the teen years with my kids. They were so INTERESTING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, Kathy. I think INTERESTING is an excellent adjective for this part of the adventure. xoxo

      Delete