Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Trying to enjoy the hours: Highlights of the happy

It's been a long time since I last posted. A number of reasons. The main one I think is that I'm not knitting as much. I was baking a lot since soccer and softball were underway, but it was much of the stuff I've shared before.

And this is what's been happening, much of the same stuff as I've shared before.

It's ok. I've worked really hard at being as boring as this.

But I'm not bored, and honestly I don't think I'm all that boring. I like stuff, I like to do stuff. I know some nice people that like to hang out :)

(I think I'm pretty funny, but my son thinks my jokes are super bad. Bad like they stink, not like Michael Jackson Bad which is cool. in case you weren't sure what we all mean.)

Lately, I'm trying to think and SAY good things and not just be the natural snarky snot of commentary that runs in the back of my head. It's important to back down if all you are about to do is yuck someone else's yum. I think I have been working on battling some of the inner negative. I was wound a little tightly coming out of the winter, more than I like to admit.

I miss knitting. I started up again this week. Yes, normally I miss a day or two but never as long as it's recently been. I'm knitting some socks for my friend Miche that I hope will fit.



The last pair I knit were for my friend, Georgia.


I still have big knitting dreams, but I'm tired a lot. I sleep better, I exercise more and I'm trying to stay on top of my laundry more. Laundry is so overwhelming it really is. So instead of knitting when I'm watching sports, I've been doing laundry. Remember 1 machine for 6 units in the building, I gotta be on it. ha!

The world, the grind. I'm keeping pace. I'm ok. So here are a few highlights of happy:

Molasses Cookies


Strawberry Buttermilk Cake w/crusty sugar top!


Smitten Kitchen's Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake. You fold the whipped egg whites INTO the batter. FLUFFY.


Any Yay! It's Time for the World Cup!! Send me all your duplicate stickers ;)



Find your happy. xoxo

28 comments:

  1. Recipe for the chocolate breakfast thing please? And for the strawberry thing too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing!
      https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/raspberry-buttermilk-cake-353616

      https://smittenkitchen.com/2006/11/chocolate-chip-sour-cream-cake/

      I hope you enjoy it!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm....your baking always makes me hungry. That pie is just too much. Now I am going to want pie all day.
    Vive la Coup du Monde! I am going to be sad though because it was the one sporting thing Daddio and I shared. I still have the Spanish and Netherlands flag that he hung out in 2010 for the final.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Araignee, I wish so much I lived closer to my knitter-blog friends. I imagine we'd have some excellent tea gatherings - eats and chats! I am sorry you won't be able to share the WC with Daddio but I will be sure to check in to see how your cheering is going!

      Delete
  4. Battling with an inner negative here, too. I'm trying to avoid situations and people that seem to bring it on or make it worse. It seems to be a constant battle. Finding my happy is harder than I thought it would be. Sigh

    Your baked items look very tasty, and I love the striped socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be a constant battle, but we are aware of it, and that DOES help. Also we are able to keep our selves busy and work through the worst of it w/activities, right? We just need to remember there is a pleasant situation for both of us around the corner when you're engaged in the worst of it. See yourself out as soon as possible, I'm here for that vent if you ever need it. xoxo

      Delete
  5. I think when we have a bit of stress, the inner snark comes out. I know I have to zip it. It's nice to have you check in, your baking is beautiful to behold, so is your knitting.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I forget what a pleasant corner of the world my knitting bloggers provide for me. Gotta embrace the good and keep perspective!

      Delete
  6. Welcome back!! Good to hear from you again and (as others have said), your baking makes me hungry RIGHT NOW (and I just finished lunch). pretty socks too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vera! I'm hoping to finish my next pair of socks this weekend (fingers crossed)

      Delete
  7. Well YUM! I always think your baking looks soooooo good.

    I'm sure my jokes are all worse than yours, especially since I love puns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bridget. PUNS are the best. Always. There was a comedian I enjoyed who was really good w/the play on words, such a different style than the majority of stuff out there, and I like all kinds.

      Delete
  8. Just waiting for Germany's first game!!! That coffee cake!! Oh My Goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Germany is always formidable! No USA so we will be rooting for France as it's a family thing. Also, we might be in Croatia for part of it, so we must make like a local I suppose?

      Delete
  9. So so so good to hear from you again. Knitting or not! I enjoy my pals and miss you when you are away. Oh those cakes, That coffee cake ! want want want. Socks are the best way to ease back in! Welcome back. No pressure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you guys too. I was reading Nancy's blog and now I am thinking I will need to take another crack at cranberry coffee cake! Socks remain the security blanket of knitting for me. hehe.

      Delete
  10. Great to hear from you, Ellen! May is a crazy month when you have kids, that's for sure. It's even crazy when said kids are grown and gone. Nice socks. I am convinced that you could open a bakery in your "spare" time! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from YOU! and everyone else of course. I like to bake when I want to, so I might be a crappy bakery owner, but I will admit there are elements to this daydream I very much like!

      Delete
  11. how nice to 'see' you! I have an inner dialogue that can be negative (who me??). I'd like to think I can curb it at will. Sometimes I try my best to say something nice most of the time. Glad you are knitting a little more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to "see" you too. heh. I know everyone has their moments, but I am genuinely impressed by the bloggers, because their writing is pretty focused and therefor positive. I don't think it's any kind of misrepresentation, just that I associate you all with such positive vibes.

      Delete
  12. I love you. I love seeing your baking and am in awe at how much you do for your kid and his teams. I got a lot of inner negative goin' on right now. I'm trying to make positive changes healthwise; it's a slow start but well, gotta start somewhere right? Love your gifted socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know many have applauded A Man Called Ove. It's on my list for sure. The Vanderbeekers is a winner and worth the time. See if SFPL has it on audio; then you can bake and listen.

      Delete
    2. I really need to get back on that audio library book thing! Great suggestion!

      Delete
    3. You know I got the love for you too. Your girls are such a dream. AND YES to slow and small changes. I tell you why because it's the beginning of something! A consistency allows you to figure out in honesty what is working and what isn't. xoxo

      Delete
  13. I don't think you are boring just because you don't post about knitting. You constantly having a lot of things going on and I find them all interesting. Especially when you post about food...but that is the foodie in me. Now I really do love those socks for your friend Georgia!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually love your snarky commentaries Ellen! You say everything that I want to say but better and with a side of sweet baked goods to boot. Love the stripey gift socks.

    ReplyDelete